RE: Help with an intro to klezmer

>Two places come to mind immediately. The first is Ari's Klezmer Shack.
>http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/. He has the best compendium of
>information, reviews, sound files, etc. of Klezmer music I know of.
>
>For buying, look into www.jewishmusic.com, the web site of Tara
>Publications. They not only have a large (I don't know if it's the
>largest, but it's pretty large) selection of Klezmer CDs (and
>cassettes), and they also have sound files.

Tara is good for "Top 10" stuff, but for depth, I have found
Wendy, at the House of Music(al?) Traditions, http://www.hmtrad.com/
to have broader knowledge, and to be more eager to work with
the customer. That applies as well to Simon, at Hatikva, who
knows all and carries all: klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com(dot) Where Tara excels,
of course, is in music books--they published a lot of it, and what
they didn't publish, they seem to carry, anyway. (Tara's sale has
been on since before Rosh Hashanah, so I think that's a permanent
thing, which is good if they've got what you want.)

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
owner: jewish-music mailing list