Re: Cantors

Following Alex' latest thoughts on not wanting the cantor (or soloist) to
replace the individual congregant let alone the complete congregation, I
heartily agree. If a leader on the Bimah only shows off his or her voice
they are not serving as a Shaliach Tzibbur.

In my opinion, a great Hazzan helps the congregation and raises the level
of prayer. Ideally there is a role for both congregants and Shaliach
Tzibbur. As the Shaliach I see my role not off being a soloist who shows
off but as an expert davener who helps my community's service be the best
it can be.  I encourage everyone to learn the skills of nusach,
understanding the meaning of the prayers and new melodies.  I strongly
urge everyone to sing along to the best of their ability. The service is
NOT a concert it is an opportunity for everyone to reach higher spiritual
heights and a good Hazzan can be an important part of that process.

For the person who asked about tricks of using music, dynamics, tempo,
etc to heighten spiritually, the answer is YES those factors are
t=coached to every professional Hazzan.  However, the most important tool
is to learn the meaning of the texts and to able to sing them honestly
from your heart to touch those in your congregation.

Cantor Sheldon M. Levin
slevin (at) mciunix(dot)mciu(dot)k12(dot)pa(dot)us

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->