Re[2]: Jewish Classical Composers

Subject: Re: Jewish Classical Composers
Author:  <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org > at tcpgate
Date:    11/28/97 7:00 AM

B"H Kiryas Arba

FYI -

In Germany and Switzerland, they've divided music into two categories,
U-Musik and E-Musik,
Unterhaltung (entertainment) and Ernst (serious).

Indeed.  I recently viewed a 35 year old re-run of Leonard Bernsteins' musical
show for youngsters (I forget the title) and he made a 10 minute drosho on why
it should be called EXACT music and not:
Classical, long-haired, high-brow, etc. etc.
My usage of classical (small c, generic) is simply another usage for ERNST.
While Classical (upper case C, specific) would refer to the era of the Classical
composers  (eg Mozart, Beethoven, etc.)

Also note, that some Jewish composers (eg Lewandowski) despite lvigin in what
might be termed the romatnic era, drew heavily from compositions from the
Classical era.

And another footnote, I have been fortuante in that I am able to incorporate
Handel's (a baroque composer, I believe) Oratorio from Judaeus Maccabeus during
our Shabbos Chanukkah service.  I say fortunate, since my congreagation has been
conditioned to hearing ERNST MUSIK (eg by Lewnadowski), a Handel composition
fits right in with the general mode.

Alex

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->