Re: Jewish Classical Composers

Just wanted to add a few names to the rather comprehensive list:

First, let's not forget the composers who were imprisoned and wrote music in
the Terezin concentration camp - Gideon Klein, Viktor Ullman, Has Krasa,
Karel Berman, Pavel Haas and others.

Then, as far as I can tell, no one has mentioned two of the most influential
composers of the late 20th century - Morton Feldman and Milton Babbitt.  I
studied with Feldman, and although you may not know it from his music (except
for the viola theme in "Rothko Chapel") he very much considered himself a
Jewish composer.

There are also plenty of us working in new music (I tend to shun the term
"classical" myself), particularly in New York.

Jeffrey Schanzer

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->