Re: Help finding music of Castelnuovo-Tedesco?

Dear Steve,

The music of Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco is lovely indeed.
I have performed his "Chant hebraique" on many occasions,
including my 1995 European concert tour.

A program note from my own concerts:

     A member of an old Florentine family, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895-
     1968) studied music at the Cherubini Royal Institute of Music.  His
     discovery (in 1925) of a notebook of Jewish melodies in his grandfather's
     house led him to begin composing Jewish compositions: "The discovery of
     this little notebook was one of the deepest emotions of my life and
     became for me a precious heritage."  Soon thereafter he became familiar
     with the sounds of synagogue cantillation and Hebrew melodies.  Racial
     laws forced Castelnuovo-Tedesco to leave his native Italy.  When anti-
     Semitism became rampant in Italy, during that country's alliance with
     Nazi Germany, Castelnuovo-Tedesco fled to the U.S. (1939).  He settled in
     Hollywood where, like many other composers of his time, he composed film
     music, in addition to his other works.

The information you are looking for is below.

Give my greetings to Andrea.  I know her from many years ago.

Dan
     Daniel Kazez, Associate Professor of Music
     Wittenberg University, Springfield, Ohio 45501 USA
     tel: 937-327-7354  fax: 937-327-6340  kazez (at) wittenberg(dot)edu
    +-----/\------------------------------------------/\-------+
         /  \                                        /  \
  --\---/----\---/------------------------------\---/----\---/--
  ---\-/------\-/-----Music-on-Jewish-Themes-----\-/------\-/---
  ----\--------/----------------------------------\--------/----
  ---/-\------/-\------Daniel-Kazez-cellist------/-\------/-\---
  --/---\----/---\------------------------------/---\----/---\--
         \  /                                        \  /
1995 - 96 \/ CONCERTS: Prague, Berlin, Rome, Florence \/ Paris, Salzburg,
Brussels, London, DeKalb, Toronto, Dayton, Akron, Columbus, Indianapolis

1997 INTERNATIONAL CONCERTS: India, Britain (England, Scotland, Wales)

1.  Le danze del re David, op. 37

|ACCESSION: 20915011
|   AUTHOR: Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Mario, 1895-1968.
|    TITLE: Le danze del Re David;
|           rapsodia ebraica su temi tradizionali per pianoforte.
|    PLACE: Roma,
|PUBLISHER: A. Forlivesi,
|     YEAR: 1926
| PUB TYPE: Musical Score
|   FORMAT: 31 p. 34 cm.
|    NOTES: For piano.

available at:

   YALE UNIV, MUSIC LIBR
   UNIV OF N TEXAS
   UNIV OF LONDON LIBR

|ACCESSION: 20052817
|   AUTHOR: Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Mario, 1895-1968.
|    TITLE: Le danze del re David;
|           rapsodia ebraica su temi tradizionali, per pianoforte.
|    PLACE: Firenze,
|PUBLISHER: A. Forlivesi,
|     YEAR: 1926
| PUB TYPE: Musical Score
|   FORMAT: score (31 p.) 33 cm.
|    NOTES: For piano. Originally for orchestra.

available at:

   UNIV OF MIAMI, MUSIC LIBR
   UNIV OF CHICAGO
   NEW YORK PUB LIBR
   UNIV OF ROCHESTER, EASTMAN SCH OF MUSIC
   EASTMAN SCH OF MUSIC
   SOUTHWESTERN BAPTIST THEOL SEMINARY
   JAMES MADISON UNIV

2.  3 corali su melodie ebraiche

|ACCESSION: 35194165
|   AUTHOR: Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Mario, 1895-1968.
|    TITLE: Tre corali su melodie ebraiche
|           per pianoforte [op. 43]
|     YEAR: 1926
| PUB TYPE: Musical Score
|   FORMAT: 34 p. 33 cm.
|    NOTES: Holograph, in ink. At end: Migliano di Lari-3 Nov. 1926.
|           Published: Wien, Universal Edition, 1927.
|           Gift of the composer, Aug. 15, 1966.

available at:

NAT REGISTER OF MICROFORM MASTERS

|ACCESSION: 12411106
|   AUTHOR: Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Mario, 1895-1968.
|    TITLE: Tre corali su melodie ebraiche :
|           per pianoforte (1926) /
|    PLACE: Wien :
|PUBLISHER: Universal-Edition,
|     YEAR: 1927
| PUB TYPE: Musical Score
|   FORMAT: 19 p. of music : 31 cm.
| MUSIC NO: U.E. 8795; Universal-EditionNr. 8795; Universal-Edition

available at:

  UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
  UNIV OF HARTFORD
  UNIV OF GEORGIA