Re: Off the subject/Jerusalem

Dear Isabelle,

Thank you for the hotel information.

As you requested, here are some leads for festivals of Jewish music in Europe.
(In answer to your question "What kind of Jewish music do I perform?), see the
texts below.)

**************************

International Jewish Music Festival
Prof. Boris Borisov, Festival Director
Vilnius, Lithuania
fax:  011-370-2-223-451
fax:  011-370-2-721-718

**************************

Poland/ Krakow
Jewish Culture Festival
Mr. Janos Makuch
Festival Office
Centrum Filmowe Graffiti
5SW Gertrudy Street
31-107 Krakow
Poland
fax:  011-48-12-211-402
tel:  011-48-12-211-884
tel:  011-48-12-214-294
tel:  011-48-12-211-628

**************************

Switzerland/ Geneve
Mme Catherine Demolis
Bibliotheque Municipales de la Ville de Geneve
Discotheque II
Cite-Vieusseux 2
1203 Geneve
Switzerland

**************************

Czech Republic/ Prague
Jubilee Synagogue
Ms. Pavla Jahodova, Manager of Culture
Jewish Community and Society for Jewish Culture
Jerusalemska 7
Prague, Czech Republic
or
Spolecnost Zidovske kultury
Ms. Pavla Jahodova
Maiselova 18
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic
Ms. Pavla Jahodova
tel: 011-42-2-23-19-002
fax: 011-42-2-23-18-664
home tel: 011-42-2-75-25-69
home tel: 011-42-2-245(?)11121

**************************

Jewish Music Heritage Trust
Bnai Brith Music Festival
London, 10/26/96-11/26/96
http://www.music-festival.demon.co.uk
David Lewin
tel:  011-44-181-446-0404
fax:  011-44-181-445-8732
e-mail:  davidlewin (at) easynet(dot)co(dot)uk

   No Title
          Bnai Brith Jewish Music Festival London, England -- Sacred
          Music of Two Traditions -- The following is a proposed
          programme in association with the...
          http://www.cpmc.columbia.edu/homepages/sevrins/jm/events/jmf-en
          g - size 4K - 31 Aug 95

                 Bnai Brith Jewish Music Festival
                          London, England

              --  Sacred Music of Two Traditions  --

The following is a proposed programme in association with the
Council of Christians and Jews, 6-16 November, 1995.

The highlight of the programme is...

  A concert of Christian and Jewish Music at St. Paul's Cathedral
                        London EC4, England

                     Yehudi Menuhin, Conductor

Bloch: Sacred Service,
Mendelssohn: Magnificat,
Brahms: psalm settings,
Horovitz,
Stewart,
Singer: Psalms for Today - a setting of the work of the Nicaraguan
  poet Ernesto Cardinale (world premiere).

Bob Borowsky, baritone, Australian cantor soloist who performs with
the Sydney Opera,
Andrew Lucas, organ,
Choir of St. Paul's Cathedral, conducted by John Scott,
Collegiate Singers, directed by Andrew Millinger,
The Zemel Choir,
Alyth Choral Society.

The concert will be introduced by the Dean of St. Paul's.

St. Paul's Cathedral, Tuesday 14th November 1995 at 7.00 pm.
Tickets: Barbican Box Office, +44 (0)171-638 8891

Not all details have been finalised yet. The programme includes the
following:

Mon 6 Nov: Lecture: Early Jewish music and its relationship to early
  Christian chant, at St. Paul's Cathedral. Under the auspices of the
  London Society of Jews and Christians. Lecturer: Alexander Knapp.

Tue 7 Nov: Cantorial demonstration/masterclass.
  (Jewish Studies Department at City University, London.)

Wed 8 Nov: Synagogue tour and then learn about and join in family
  songs and prayers from the Jewish Tradition. Sabbath songs to sing
  at the table, songs for Passover, etc.

Sun 12 Nov: Guided walks in the City and East End of London (morning)
Sun 12 Nov: Jewish and Christian remembrance event (CCJ)

Tue 14 Nov: Concert at St. Paul's Cathedral, conducted by Yehudi Menuhin.
  Pre-concert Reception: St. Paul's Crypt, 5.45 pm for 7.00 pm concert.
  Pre-concert talk on Bloch's Sacred Service, 4.30 pm at City University.

Tue 14 Nov: (Season opens). Julia Pascall Theatre Trilogy.
  New End Theatre, 27 New End, London NW3 1JD. Tel: +44 (0)171-794 0022.
  a.. Theresa - a dance theatre work of 90 minutes. Music by Kyla Greenbaum.
  b.. A Dead Woman on Holiday - a love story set in the Nuremburg Trials.
  c.. The Dybbuk - a modern play inspired by Anski's great Yiddish
      classic.

Wed 15 Nov: Concert of Organ Music by Jewish Composers, 7.30 pm.
  Notre Dame de France, Leicester Place, off Leicester Square,
  London W1. Featuring Duncan Middleton - Organist Titulaire of the
  Roman Catholic Church, Bridget Marshall - organist of the concert.
  Tel: +44 (0)920-460 454.

Thu 16 Nov: A Celebration of Psalms - A sing-a-long in Psalms and
  Christian and Jewish settings.

The programme at St. Paul's Cathedral is fixed. The other events are firm,
but may be revised. Should you wish to receive further information by
e-mail as and when it becomes available, please send e-mail to me
<rwsh (at) dircon(dot)co(dot)uk> with the following message 'subscribe
JMF-1995'.

The Jewish Music Festival is able to arrange reasonably priced hotel
accomodation in London. For further details, please get in touch directly
with the Jewish Music Festival, P.O. Box 232, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2NN,
England. Tel: +44 (0)181-909 2445. Fax: +44 (0)181 909 1030.

I have posted this notice as a "well-wisher" of the Jewish Music Festival.

Roger Harris.

**************************

The Jewish Cultural Festival Week took place towards the end of last year with
several features in different premises in Venice.

        The Festival has been prepared and organized by a non-Jewish Society
called CODESS (Soc.Coop. a r.l.).  This Society has a multiple activity
which I personally do not know. I only know that the local Jewish Community
has entrusted to this Society the regular tourist visits to the local Jewish
Museum, to the Synagogues in the Ghetto and recently the administration of ...
the Jewish Old People's home.

CODESS (Soc.Coop. a r.l.)
Settore Culturale
3764, Cannaregio
30131 - VENEZIA (Italy)
tel.n0 ++39.41.5206499 or 5205599 or 5206237
fax :  ++39.41.5200541

(39 stands for Italy and 41 for Venice).

The following is the address of the Jewish Community in Venice:

Comunit` Ebraica
2899, Cannaregio
30131 - VENEZIA (Italy)
tel. n0 ++39.41.715012
fax n0  ++39.41.5241862

**************************

Dan
     Daniel Kazez, Associate Professor of Music
     Wittenberg University, Springfield, Ohio 45501 USA
     tel: 937-327-7354  fax: 937-327-6340  kazez (at) wittenberg(dot)edu
     http://www.voyageronline.net/~drcello/kazez.htm
     http://www.cello.org/cnc/jewish.htm
     http://www.oac.ohio.gov/artstour/solo/kazez.htm
    +-----/\------------------------------------------/\-------+
         /  \                                        /  \
  --\---/----\---/------------------------------\---/----\---/--
  ---\-/------\-/-----Music-on-Jewish-Themes-----\-/------\-/---
  ----\--------/----------------------------------\--------/----
  ---/-\------/-\------Daniel-Kazez-cellist------/-\------/-\---
  --/---\----/---\------------------------------/---\----/---\--
         \  /                                        \  /
1995 - 96 \/ CONCERTS: Prague, Berlin, Rome, Florence \/ Paris, Salzburg,
Brussels, London, DeKalb, Toronto, Dayton, Akron, Columbus, Indianapolis

1997 CONCERTS: India, Britain (England, Scotland, Wales)

   *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

                   "Saying Good-Bye to Bruch"

                          Daniel Kazez
                      Wittenberg University

   Three years ago, a woman visited my university to participate in a
   Holocaust conference.  She was set to give a dramatic presentation with
   violin accompaniment, only to find that her violinist was ill and had
   not arrived on campus.  With twenty-four hours' notice, I was called to
   fill in, on cello.  The next day's performance, which was quite a
   success, spurred me to consider performing art music inspired by my own
   Jewish tradition.  (My father is a Sephardic Jew who emigrated to the
   U.S. from Turkey after World War II, in search of further education.  My
   mother is of Ashkenazic descent.)  After several years scouring the
   nation's libraries and databases for scores, I unearthed a body of
   wonderful, but mostly rarely performed, compositions.

   I have had the good fortune to perform concerts of what I call "Music on
   Jewish Themes" in many of the cultural capitals of Europe:  in Prague
   (at the Jeruzalemska Synagogue, as part of the 1995 Prague International
   Festival of Jewish Culture); in Berlin (at the College Music Society's
   International Conference, in a lecture and performance entitled
   "Expression of Jewish Musical Style and Extramusical Associations in Art
   Music for the Violoncello"); in Rome (at the Centro Ebraico Italiano,
   the Jewish Cultural Center for Rome and all of Italy); in Florence (at
   the Great Synagogue, one of the major sights of Florence, often cited as
   the world's most beautiful synagogue); in Paris (at Temple Victoire,
   also known as the Rothschild Synagogue, one of the world's largest
   synagogues); in Brussels (at Cercle Ben Gurion, a benefit concert); and
   in London (at the Jewish Museum of London, sponsored jointly by the
   Manor House and the Sternberg Centre for Judaism).  More recently, I
   performed in Toronto and I spent two days in residence at Northern
   Illinois University, lecturing on "Jewish music" and the cultural
   activities of Diaspora populations.

   Up until a few years ago, Bruch and Bloch were the mainstays of Jewish
   repertoire.  One of the best known ostensibly Jewish works for cello
   (Kol Nidrei, 1881) is arguably less Jewish than many other works of
   music.  Bruch, a non-Jew, learned of Jewish traditional tunes from
   Abraham Jacob Lichtenstein, a nineteenth century cantor.  Kol Nidrei is,
   in essence, a short cello concerto in the Romantic tradition which
   begins with the Kol Nidrei melody.

   The music that I include on my programs has a clear Jewish connection,
   usually in the title itself.  More important, I choose music in which
   the melodies and rhythms have an audible connection to Jewish sources--
   music that, from beginning to end, has been profoundly influenced by
   Judaism.  Here are some compositions I have included in my programs,
   along with relevant biographical information on the composers:

   Joachim Stutschewsky, Six Israeli Melodies

     1. Kinnereth; 2. Raindrops; 3. You, The Earth;
     4. Oriental Melody; 5. Prayer; 6. Wanderer's Song

   Joachim Stutschewsky (1891-1982) was a composer, folklorist, cellist,
   lecturer, writer, and proponent of Jewish music.  Born in the Ukraine to
   a family that had been klezmorim (Jewish folk musicians) for several
   generations, Stutschewsky took up the violin at the age of five, and
   switched to the cello at age eleven.  He moved to Zurich in 1914 and
   then Vienna in 1924, where he founded the Association for the Development
   of Jewish Music.  He moved to Israel in 1938.  Stutschewsky collected
   and edited Hassidic melodies, and incorporated many of these in his
   compositions.

   Julius Chajes, Israeli Dance

   A resident of Vienna, Tel-Aviv, and then Detroit, Julius Chajes (1910-
   1985) was the son of a surgeon and a concert pianist.  In Palestine
   (1934-36) he conducted research on ancient Hebrew music.  Chajes arrived
   in the U.S. in 1937, and served as Music Director at the Jewish
   Community Center in Detroit.  He was chairman of Hashofar, a society for
   the promotion of Jewish music.

   Ernest Bloch, Prayer (From Jewish Life)

   At the age of ten, Ernest Bloch (1880-1959) wrote a vow that he would
   become a composer.  Then, in ritual fashion, Bloch burned the paper over
   a mound of stones positioned in the shape of an altar.  Born in Geneva,
   Switzerland, he worked for a time in the family clock-making business.
   His earliest works incorporated traditional Jewish tunes as sung by his
   father, who was the son of Meyer Bloch, president of the Jewish
   community of Lengnau (in the Swiss Canton of Aargau).  After composing
   many of his major Jewish-inspired works, including Schelomo (1916), he
   moved permanently to the United States, founded the Cleveland Institute
   of Music (1920), and later became director of the San Francisco
   Conservatory (1925).

   Harvey Gaul, A Yigdal from Yemen

   American composer and conductor Harvey Gaul (1881-1945) performed as
   organist in his native New York, as well as in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
   His teachers included the French composer Vincent d'Indy.  He was the
   first music director of radio station KDKA and a music critic for the
   Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  Most of his 500+ compositions were published
   under pseudonyms.

   David Popper, Wie einst in schoner'n Tagen

   Best known as a master cellist and pedagogue, David Popper (1843-1913)
   was also a prolific composer of very effective genre pieces for the
   cello.  He was born in Prague and died near Vienna.  His technical works
   form the basis of modern cello study.  Popper died in Baden, before the
   beginning of World War I.  According to Popper's student and biographer
   Stephen De'ak, Popper's wife "was not able to escape the Nazi occupation
   of Austria, and like millions of others of her faith she was captured by
   the Gestapo, and sent to a concentration camp in Germany, where she met
   her end in the gas chambers" (David Popper, 1980).

   Srul Irving Glick, Prayer and Dance

   The father of Canadian composer Srul Irving Glick emigrated to Canada
   from Russia, where he became cantor in several of Toronto's synagogues.
   The young Glick, born in Toronto in 1934, was deeply influenced by his
   participation in choirs and by hearing his father sing.  He studied at
   the University of Toronto, receiving degrees in music theory and
   composition.  Glick's teachers included Darius Milhaud and John
   Weinzweig.  One of Canada's most celebrated composers, he is currently
   active also as a conductor, teacher, and radio producer.  Glick is
   composer-in-residence at Beth Tikvah Synagogue in Toronto.

   Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Chant hebraique

   A member of an old Florentine family, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895-
   1968) studied music at the Cherubini Royal Institute of Music.  His
   discovery (in 1925) of a notebook of Jewish melodies in his
   grandfather's house led him to begin composing Jewish compositions: "The
   discovery of this little notebook was one of the deepest emotions of my
   life and became for me a precious heritage."  Soon thereafter he became
   familiar with the sounds of synagogue cantillation and Hebrew melodies.
   Racial laws forced Castelnuovo-Tedesco to leave his native Italy.  When
   anti-Semitism became rampant in Italy, during that country's alliance
   with Nazi Germany, Castelnuovo-Tedesco fled to the U.S. (1939).  He
   settled in Hollywood where, like many other composers of his time, he
   composed film music, in addition to his other works.

   Joachim Stutschewsky, Frejlachs

   My complete collection of "Music on Jewish Themes" includes several
   dozen works--a virtually untapped repertoire for cellists.

   *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

  E U R O P E A N   C O N C E R T   T O U R :     S U M M E R   1 9 9 5

13 June
PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
Jeruzalemska Synagogue
   One of the world's most impressive synagogues.
   A performance as part of the 1995 Prague International
   Festival of Jewish Culture.

17 June
BERLIN, GERMANY
Maritim Pro Arte
   College Music Society International Conference, focusing
   on "Multicultural Perspectives in Music."  A lecture and
   performance entitled "Expression of Jewish Musical Style
   and Extramusical Associations in Art Music for the
   Violoncello."

20 June
ROME, ITALY
Centro Ebraico Italiano ("Il Pitigliani")
   The Jewish Cultural Center for Rome and all of Italy.

22 June
FLORENCE, ITALY
Great Synagogue
   One of the major sights of Florence, and often cited
   as the world's most beautiful synagogue.

25 June
SALZBURG, AUSTRIA
Synagogue and Chabad House
   A celebration of the life and work of Rabbi Schneerson.

28 June
PARIS, FRANCE
Temple Victoire (Rothschild Synagogue)
   The most important synagogue in Paris, and one of the
   world's  largest.

29 June
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
Cercle Ben Gurion
   A concert for Merkaz 'Hai, a benefit for needy children.

2 July
LONDON, ENGLAND
The Jewish Museum of London
   Europe's largest Jewish community center.  A concert
   sponsored jointly by the Manor House and the Sternberg
   Centre for Judaism.

   *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

          D A N I E L   K A Z E Z   /   B I O G R A P H Y

Daniel Kazez began playing the cello at the age of five, under the tutelage
of Leonard Feldman, cellist of the Alard String Quartet.  He went on to
earn music degrees from the Oberlin Conservatory, the Peabody Institute of
the Johns Hopkins University, and a doctorate from the University of
Michigan (Ann Arbor), where he was awarded three consecutive Rackham
Fellowships.  Kazez has performed recitals in many of the musical capitals
of Europe, including Berlin, Salzburg, Brussels, and London.  His Paris and
Florence debuts (in 1995) earned him standing ovations; and he recently
performed to a standing-room-only audience at Rome's Il Pitigliani.  His
first performance in eastern Europe was at the 1995 Prague International
Festival of Jewish Culture.  Kazez has also appeared in most of the major
metropolitan areas of the United States, including Baltimore, Boston,
Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, Pittsburgh,
and Washington, D.C.  He performed as founding member of the Castalia
String Quartet, and is currently a member of the Corinthian Chamber
Players.  Kazez's performances and research have been supported by grants
from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Lilly Foundation, the Wray
Foundation, and the Ohio Arts Council.  He is the recipient of the 1996
Matthies Award and a 1996-97 University of Chicago/Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation Research Fellowship.

   Kazez has been heard by radio and television audiences in Europe, Asia,
and North America.  In 1993, his performance of J.S. Bach's first Cello
Suite was broadcast on the ABC television program 20/20, to an audience of
over 20 million.  According to a recent reviewer, "Kazez brings an
outstanding discipline and remarkable musicality to his work.  His sound is
pure and strong.  He knows the literature and shows real joy in playing it."

   Kazez is the author of two books (both dealing with the rhythmic aspect
of music), a dozen scholarly articles (dealing with music theory and music
performance pedagogy), and a dozen editions and arrangements of music
(mostly from the English and Italian Baroque).  His book "Rhythm Reading:
Elementary Through Advanced Training" (W.W. Norton), now in its second
edition, is the most widely used rhythm textbook in the U.S.  As editor and
principal contributor, he recently published "Imprints of India:  A Brief
Guide to Indian Music, Dance, and the Visual Arts" (Aronoff Center),
commissioned by the Cincinnati Arts Association in conjunction with the
1996 Cincinnati Performing Arts Festival of India, at which Kazez was
keynote speaker.

   Kazez has given talks on his research at twenty-five of the leading U.S.
schools of music and conservatories, including the New England
Conservatory, the University of Texas, and the Manhattan School of Music.
An enduring student of world music, Dr. Kazez recently traveled to India,
where he gave a series of 14 lectures/performances, including appearances
in Bombay at the Indian Institute of Technology and the Indira Gandhi
Institute of Development Research, and at the School of the Krishnamurti
Foundation/Madras (for a one-week residency), the Canadian School of
India/Bangalore, and at the 1997 Kala Chhaya Festival/Pune ("Hemant Utsav"
Festival).  Kazez has also traveled to Java and Bali (to study gamelan
music, dance, and shadow puppet theater) and to Turkey and Greece (to study
urban folk music).

   In the May 1997, Kazez presented a concert tour of Great Britain, with
performances in England, Scotland, and Wales.  Kazez is currently Associate
Professor of Music at Wittenberg University.

   Kazez's interest in Jewish music is at once personal and professional.
His father, now an eminent physicist, is a Sephardic Jew who emigrated to
the U.S. from Turkey after World War II in search of further education.
His mother, an accomplished artist and internationally recognized
triathlete, is of Ashkenazic descent.  Dan lives in central Ohio with his
wife, Anne, who is full-time mother to their two young children, Benjamin
and Rachel.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->