Re: Aleynu -- and the Bismark

Stefan, the chorus to "Sink the Bismark" sounds only remotely like the
very first line of "She'hu noteh shamayim... [up to the word "aretz"]."
It corresponds to the last line: "We're going to sink the Bismark to the
bottom of the sea."  Again, the melody lines are not identical.

Shalom,
Chava
who loved "Sink the Bismark" as well as "The Battle of New Orleans,"
both (as I recall) by Johnny Horton

Bloomfield, Stefan wrote:

> Just for a change of pace -------
>
> Someone told me that the upbeat melody that some congregations use in
> the middle of the Aleynu (Sh'hu noteh sh'mayim...) was actually borrowed
> from the World War I song "We're Going to Sink the Bismark". Can anyone
> confirm this, or conversely lay the rumor to rest. And if true, where
> can one find a copy of the Bismark song?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan Bloomfield

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->