Re: Aleynu -- and the Bismark

At 05:44 PM 5/4/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Someone told me that the upbeat melody that some congregations use in
>the middle of the Aleynu (Sh'hu noteh sh'mayim...) was actually borrowed
>from the World War I song "We're Going to Sink the Bismark".

I don't know the liturgical or musical answer, but I do know some history.
The Bismark was built some time in the 1930's while Hitler was in power and
it was, Praise God, sunk by the British in the early period of World War 2.
During World War 1, there was no Bismark to sink, except for some herrings.

Musawwir Spiegel

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->