Re: What Makes Music Jewish

My ideas on what is Jewish music were formed in part by listening to a
recording made a few years after Israel was formed.  It had music sung by
immigrants to Israel from Arab countries and central Asia.  One of the
recordings sounded jst like Arab music, but then I picked up the words.  It
was Adon Alom!

Many of the familiar melodies we use in Ashkenazi prayer are copied from
European sources, and Klezmer music has Eastern European and Gypsy
influences.  American show and movie music is influenced by the Yiddish
theater.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->