Re: What Makes Music Jewish

Hello everyone,

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997  14:34:57 EST, Michael Drapkin <mdrapkin (at)
lehman(dot)com>
wrote:

>"There's no right or wrong in Jewish music, there's only good
>Jewish music and bad Jewish music..."

Undoubtedly there's good Jewish music and bad Jewish music, and even
so-so Jewish music. But that says absolutely nothing about what Jewish
music is. Fortunately, another participant in the discussion has now
solved that problem once and for all. On Thu, 27 Mar 1997,
12:46:45 -0600  "Adrian A. Durlester" <durleste (at) plains(dot)nodak(dot)edu>
wrote:

>I am Jewish. I make music. That music is Jewish. Period. End of discussion
>I am Jewish. Music others create touches my Jewish soul. That music is
>Jewish. Period. End of discussion.

In other words, Jewish music is whatever Adrian Durlester says it is.
Well, I'm glad we got that settled. Now maybe we can move on to something
a little more complicated.

Itzik-Leyb Volokh (Jeffrey Wollock)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->