Re: Thanks! +Shalom Alechem...

 >On the title page of the book, Israel Goldfarb is listed as "Rabbi,
 >Congregation Beth Israel Anshe Emes, Brooklyn; Instructor in Hazanuth,
Jewish
 >Theological Seminary of America." You might check with either of those
 >institutions for further information about him.

Israel Goldfarb was the beloved rabbi of Kane Street Synagogue/Beth Israel
Anshe
Emes,  236 Kane St., Brooklyn, New York.  (718-875-1550)  for over 50 years.

Although I have heard the song attributed to him before, I never connected
the very
"Shalom Aleichem" tune that we sing every Friday night at our Shabes table
with Rabbi
Goldfarb of our own Kane Street Shul.  (We first joined Kane Street in 1975
soon after he left.)

>>As the Israel Goldfarb trivia continues to come to light, does anyone know

>> when he was born?  (I presume he's till alive?)

>No, I don't think so.  Since he taught at JTS in the 20's, I am
>almost certain he was born at the end of the 19th century.  His
>daughter is a grandma herself.  My sources are at work and I'm
>at home, but I would check in "Encyclopedia Judaica" and the
>"Concise Encyclopedia of Jewish Music" by Macy Nulman.

Peysakh, 1995, we met at Temple Emanuel of Miami Beach, Rabbi Goldfarb who
told us he was the rabbi at Kane Street for over 50 years (someone we had
always
heard about but never met).   He looked like a young 70+ year old.  I
wouldn't even say
80 or 90 years old.   Perhaps he was really the rabbi's son who also held the
post for
some years.   He and the khazn of Temple Emanuel seemed to know each other
well.
That khazn, BTW, bestowed us all with the most phenomenal, heavenly davening
I have
ever heard in a synagogue - a khazn definitely worth going to hear even if
you are a devout
athiest.  I understand that he has since left, but if anyone knows where he
has gone,
I would appreciate knowing about it so that we can go hear him should the
opportunity
arise.   He is quite well known in khazonishe circles.   Anyway, this khazn
and Kane Street
Synagogue are good current of info for Rabbi Goldfarb.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->