Re: Thanks! +Shalom Alechem...

At 08:34 PM 12/22/96 +0000, you wrote:

>In a message dated 12/22/96 5:30:02 PM, you wrote:
>
><<Pardon me for a few more questions, for Yosef or anyone else,
>concerning the song Shalom Alechem:
>
>   1.  How would you translate "Shalom Alechem"?
>       "May G-d rest his presence upon you
>The composer is I. Goldfarb.
>
>   2.  What was his first name?
>       Israel
>   3.  When was he born?  (Perhaps he is also still alive?)
>>>

>Israel Goldfarb and Samuel E. Goldfarb composed the familiar tune of "Shalom
>Aleichem" sung on Shabbat. It was published in "The Jewish Songster, Part I"
>in 1925. (I happen to own a copy of the fifth revised edition, published in
>1948.)
>
>On the title page of the book, Israel Goldfarb is listed as "Rabbi,
>Congregation Beth Israel Anshe Emes, Brooklyn; Instructor in Hazanuth, Jewish
>Theological Seminary of America." You might check with either of those
>institutions for further information about him.
>
>Just FYI, Samuel E. Goldfarb is listed on the same title page as "Head of
>Music Department, Bureau of Education, New York."

*      DANIEL B. SCHWARTZ ATTORNEY AT LAW         *
*    MEMBER OF NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY &FEDERAL BARS *
*     SPECIALIZING IN COMMERCIAL LITIGATION,      *
*    CLASS ACTIONS, AND BROKER-DEALER MATTERS     *
*     FOR INFORMATION SEND E-MAIL TO:             *
*   SCHWARTZESQ (at) WORLDNET(dot)ATT(dot)NET                  *