Re: Thanks! +Shalom Alechem...

<<Pardon me for a few more questions, for Yosef or anyone else,
concerning the song Shalom Alechem:

   1.  How would you translate "Shalom Alechem"?

The composer is I. Goldfarb.

   2.  What was his first name?

   3.  When was he born?  (Perhaps he is also still alive?)

Israel Goldfarb and Samuel E. Goldfarb composed the familiar tune of "Shalom
Aleichem" sung on Shabbat. It was published in "The Jewish Songster, Part I"
in 1925. (I happen to own a copy of the fifth revised edition, published in
1948.)

On the title page of the book, Israel Goldfarb is listed as "Rabbi,
Congregation Beth Israel Anshe Emes, Brooklyn; Instructor in Hazanuth, Jewish
Theological Seminary of America." You might check with either of those
institutions for further information about him.

Just FYI, Samuel E. Goldfarb is listed on the same title page as "Head of
Music Department, Bureau of Education, New York."

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->