Re: Klezmer Forest& Trees(was Re: what is Klismer music?)

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Fred Jacobowitz wrote:

> Moshe,
>       Point well taken. Please remember that I did indeed refer to
> historical usage.
>       As for modern bands, those who are not, like my band,
> MACHAYA KLEZMER BAND, reconstructionists, really should be helping to
> clarify the terminology with modifiers such as "progressive"- , "modern"- ,
> "Pop/"- , etc. -Klezmer.

Fred: as one whose job it is to put a label on bands and clarify the
distinctions, I want to come to the defense of musicians simply to say
that they shouldn't be expected to have to label themselves.  My
experience is that the vast majority of musicians just play music,
regardless of labels and categories. Most good ones are genuinely
clueless as to where they "fit in" in terms of genres and movements.

> After all, Rappers don't say they do "Hip-hop",
> and vice versa.

Fred: I'd love to get a few sentences from you clarifying the distinction
btwn the above two terms. And I'd even go out on a limb and venture to
say that you're probably wrong here, rappers do indeed consider
themselves "hip-hop" musicians.

Seth Rogovoy
rogovoy (at) berkshire(dot)net
http://www.berkshireweb.com/rogovoy