Re: Mazel Tov!!!

itamarez (at) spinoza(dot)tau(dot)ac(dot)il "Itamar Even-Zohar" wrote:

> On 7 Feb 1996, Gedaliah Friedenberg wrote:

Firstly, Mazal uBrachah to Gedaliah and his fiance.

> > Mazel Tov messages to me (gedaliah (at) panix(dot)com) will be given to
> > Rachma
> It would be more appropriate to use the form:
> MAZZAL TOV

Or, Mazzal Tob.

> > build a bayis ne'eman
> The form is BAYIT.

More correctly, BAYITH, both Bayit and Bayis are wrong.  A Taw without a
dagesh should be pronounced Thaw, but when the Hillonim from Europe rejected
the "old ways" and tried to copy the accents of the Sephardim of Eretz Yisrael
they couldn't pronounce "th" and rejecting "s" they ended up with "t".   As
these Ashkenazi Hillonim took it upon themselves to be the dominant force of
the state, Israelis are stuck with this corrupt form.

> However, if you insist on 'bayis', you must also write 'ne'emon'. To mix
> different traditions is irritating.

And so is running a man down in his time of simcha.  Give the man a break,
no-ones perfect.

--
Yatzliakh Abrahami
yatz (at) intxtdoc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->