Racial Purity

Someone recently wrote:

   >In the 19th century many composers were seeking exotic, romantic subjects
   >for their compositions. Many were attracted to musical languages other
   >than the standard European. Many were at first attracted to the folksongs
   >of their own ethnic group (nationalsim), and then became interested in
   >those of other groups (exoticism).

   >These trends continued into the 20th century. Bruch wrote a Scottish
   >fantasy as well as a Kol Nidre. Ravel wrote Greek songs as well as Jewish.
   >He also wrote the now ubiquitous Spanish Bolero.

   >Should we consider such compositions "Jewish Music?" Why not? Do we insist
   >that the composer be racially pure? That was the thinking of Wagner (in
   >the 19th century) and Goebbels (in the 20th century) when they declared
   >that anyone with Jewish blood was incapable of composing German music.

Perhaps we have gone overboard in our avoidance of a Jewish purity test.  Case
in point:  In commemoration of the holocaust, I saw on television the broadcast
of cellist Lynn Harrell playing Max Bruch's Kol Nidre--a non-Jewish performer, a
non-Jewish composer, and German-Romantic music with a hint of Judaism.

    1995-96 CONCERTS:  Prague, Berlin, Rome, Florence, Paris, Salzburg,
         Brussels, London, DeKalb, Toronto, Dayton, Akron, Columbus

    Dan Kazez/Associate Professor of Music
    Wittenberg Univ./Springfield, Ohio 45501
    kazez (at) wittenberg(dot)edu
    tel:  513-327-7354/fax:  513-327-6340

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->