"Sound Check"(!)

Cantor Neil Schwartz listed Bernstein's "Chichester Psalms" as one of his
favorite works of classical music.  I listened to the music for the first
time last night.  It is indeed wonderful.  However, it raises a troubling
(but inevitable) question--just what is "Jewish music"?

Chichester Psalms is in Hebrew, from the Psalms.  But what about the music
itself?  What specific elements of the music evoke a Jewish image?  (And,
more technically speaking...  In primarily non-tonal music, how do composers
make their music sound Jewish?)

Let me be more specific.  Fill in the blanks:

   When I hear ______________ in music, I can be pretty sure it's Jewish.

   When I hear ______________ in music, then I know it's Jewish!

Dan Kazez

 1995-96 CONCERTS:  Prague, Berlin, Rome, Florence, Paris, Salzburg,
      Brussels, London, DeKalb, Toronto, Dayton, Akron, Columbus

Dan Kazez/Associate Professor of Music
Wittenberg Univ./Springfield, Ohio 45501
kazez (at) wittenberg(dot)edu
tel:  513-327-7354/fax:  513-327-6340

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->