Re: "Sound Check"(!)

The never-ending question of WHAT IS JEWISH MUSIC? keeps many of us in
"Jewish Music" debating over and over again.  My favorite definition is
music by Jews for Jews.  However, this leaves out many things (Benedetto
Marcello wrote a lovely Maoz Tzur but he wasn't Jewish) for example. Many
of our liturgical settings are based on secular tunes from other cultures
that make the Ein KElokenu sung to a EUropean drinking sung not-Jewish?

I tend to think that music by non-Jewish composers sung in Hebrew is
still not Jewish but I have performed Schubert's Hebrew Psalm settings or
versions of Bach chorales with my Jewish choirs. I have heard synagogue
choirs sing Handel, Haydn or Randall Thompson though these are clearly
not Jewish.

My synagogue has a policy of allowing a Jewish band to play Jewish music
at a Bar/t Mitzvah of Shabbat afternoon. Does Fiddler on the Roof
qualify? How about Barry Manilow tunes?  What about Israeli pop songs
that are based on Greek or other western pop motifs?

Everybody's opinions on this subject are welcome but I doubt that we will
easily find one definition.

Cantor Sheldon M. Levin
slevin (at) mciunix(dot)mciu(dot)k12(dot)pa(dot)us

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->