Bloch! Bruch?

A recent poster wrote:

   >Aren't many of these compositions by non-Jews "based" on Jewish themes?
   >Seems to me these composers often heard a tune they liked and simple
   >expanded on it for their composition...or maybe they tried to evoke a
   >Jewish "flavor" through an entirely original composition, much the way
   >Bizet tried to evoke Spain in Carmen.

In a search for "Jewish music," this makes me a little nervous.  I eagerly
accept Bloch--a Jewish composer whose entire life's work was devoted to the
mastery of Jewish musical elements.  As a performer of classical music
inspired by Judaism (often for primarily Jewish audiences), I am a little wary
of programming purportedly "Jewish music" by composers who might slip in a
Jewish melody or who might compose in minor with a few extra Augmented 2nds
(e.g. in C minor, A flat to B natural or E flat to F sharp).

Dan

----------------------Music-on-Jewish-Themes-------------------------
-----------------------Daniel-Kazez-cellist--------------------------
1995-96 CONCERT APPEARANCES:  Prague, Berlin, Rome, Florence, Paris,
                              Salzburg, Brussels, London, DeKalb,
                              Toronto, Dayton, Akron, Columbus
Daniel (Dan) Kazez
Associate Prof. Music