Re: Modern Jewish Composition

You may want to join the American Society for Jewish Music. It publishes
a scholarly journal and produces concerts of quality new Jewish music in
New York. Contact the ASJM at 129 W. 67th St New York NY 10023.

On the West Coast Dr. Michael Isaacson or Amidav Alon, both well-known
Jewish musicians, composers and conductors, can lead you to such music.

In Israel there are many composers of great merit, though it is always
difficult to define "Jewish" music. There are too many to even begin a
list here.

Since I am fortunate enough to be in Phila. where many young Israeli
composition students get graduate degrees at the Univ. of Penna. I would
recommend you seek out music composed by some of these fine new
composers. Boaz Ben-Moshe, Moshe Kamm and Oded Zahavi are three young men
with whom I have worked and have great admiration.

If other readers of this list have particular favorite new composers or
compositions I, for one, would love to hear recommendations.

Cantor Sheldon M. Levin
slevin (at) mciunix(dot)mciu(dot)k12(dot)pa(dot)us

On 25 Dec 1995 kaplan (at) panix(dot)com wrote:

> Hi.  I'm interested in finding out who is composing modern Jewish
> compositions, particularly for the concert
> hall.
>
> Shavua Tov,
>
> Lee

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->