Any Decent National Anthems?

[ Article crossposted from rec.music.folk,rec.music.classical ]
[ Author was ghost ]
[ Posted on 30 May 1995 17:15:27 GMT ]

In article <3qfan4$kmc (at) linda(dot)teleport(dot)com> znmeb (at)
teleport(dot)com writes:
>JonathBlue (jonathblue (at) aol(dot)com) wrote:
>: The Israeli National Anthem "Ha Tikvah" (which means "Hope") is very
>: moving.  It is in a minor key (I believe) and has a beautiful, bittersweet
>: melody.
>It is also from a well-known classical composition, "The Moldau", by
>Smetana.

Nope:  Smetana, in "The Moldau", steals what was either a local (Chezch?)
folk tune or a local Jewish folk tune, messes around with the key its in to
make it sound "more uplifting", rearranges it a bit, & puts his name on it.
Typical story.  When classical composers wanted something with ethnic
flavor they usually just swiped something from the local ethnics, but many
did acknowledge their sources.  I don't know about Smetana.
--
znmeb (at) teleport(dot)COM (M. Edward Borasky)
How to Stop A Folksinger Cold # 2

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->