Any Decent National Anthems?

[ Article crossposted from rec.music.classical ]
[ Author was F. Tereshchenko ]
[ Posted on 6 Jun 1995 19:58:41 GMT ]

In article <3r00vm$nf3 (at) newsbf02(dot)news(dot)aol(dot)com>,
Rhabliss <rhabliss (at) aol(dot)com> wrote:
>Now that we're back on the topics of anthems in general, I'd put in a vote
>for the imperial Russian one -- God Save the Tsar.  Besides being familiar
>from being quoted in the 1812 Overture, it turns up pretty regularly in
>films to underscore the nostalgia of White Russians, to greatest effect
>perhaps in the Ingrid Bergman/Helen Hayes ANASTASIA.  A haunting ditty...

    Well, the music of Russian State Anthem "Bozhe Tsaria hrani!" or "God
save the Tsar" was written by little-known Russian composer Prince Lvov.
Words are by famous Russian poet Zhukovski. I don't think it's appropriate
and politicly correct to call it "ditty".

        Feodor

--
znmeb (at) teleport(dot)COM (M. Edward Borasky)
How to Stop A Folksinger Cold # 2

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->