Any Decent National Anthems?

[ Article crossposted from rec.music.classical,rec.music.folk ]
[ Author was John Rethorst ]
[ Posted on Thu, 01 Jun 1995 12:57:20 -0400 ]

In article <1995Jun1(dot)004115(dot)27305 (at)
inca(dot)comlab(dot)ox(dot)ac(dot)uk>,
ehrlich (at) sable(dot)ox(dot)ac(dot)uk (Charles Ehrlich) wrote:

 We are dealing with an old
> folk song - the exact origin of which we may never know.  It seems to crop
> up in several cultures.  It seems likely, as someone has already posted, that
> Smetena borrowed the theme from some Czech folk melody (and then rearranged
> it a bit).

Reminds me of the theme in Dvorak's 9th with the melody of "Three Blind
Mice." Someone at the time thought that was where Dvorak got it, and then
someone else pointed out that a Czech folksong, "Weeding Flaxfields Blue,"
has the same melody. The composer, of course, said he wrote only in the
spirit of folk melodies.

John R.
--
znmeb (at) teleport(dot)COM (M. Edward Borasky)
How to Stop A Folksinger Cold # 2

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->