Re: Looking for Hungarian Music Info.

Paul Gifford writes:
"This revival spurned Gypsy music (by this I mean restaurant music
incorporating music from different traditions) and revived Hungarian music

from Transylvania, which preserved older traditions.  One of the members
of
Sebo told me that they and the Gypsies didn't get along on the Hungarian
State
Folk Ensemble tour in the U.S. in the mid-80s."

One of my current favorite cd's these days is by Muzsikas: The Lost Jewish
Music of Transylvania (rykodisc).  Muzsikas is made up of "graduates" of
the folk revival.  Interestingly, they write about their efforts to
collect this music:
In our field trips we indeed found two excellent Gypsy musicians who
regularly played for Jews before the War: Gheorghe Covaci (known as
Cioata), a primas (leading violinist) from Farkasvev (Vadu Izer) of
Maramaros county, and Arpad Toni, a cimbalom player from Vajdaszentivany
(Voivodeno) of Maros (Mures) county......" They play on this recording,
and Marta Sebest'yen sings.  They extensive notes about the music, and the
interaction, on a musical level, between Jew and Gypsy.
Dennis
dennis gura (dengura (at) aol(dot)com)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->