Re: Looking for Hungarian Music Info.

In article <3op1bn$alh (at) newsbf02(dot)news(dot)aol(dot)com> dengura (at)
aol(dot)com (DenGura) writes:
>From: dengura (at) aol(dot)com (DenGura)
>Subject: Re: Looking for Hungarian Music Info.
>Date: 9 May 1995 20:28:39 -0400

>In the mid-70's there was a Hungarian folk music revival.  One of the most
>popular groups was Sebo.  Their works have been released on CD.  I don't
>know if that is what you have in mind, but they try to recreate
>traditional music.  They have spawned a host of bands.  One that is fairly
>easy to find is Muszikas.  They've a number of traditionalist Hungarian
>cds.  Also, a singer named Martya Sebyastian sings with them and has her
>own releases.
>dennis gura (dengura (at) aol(dot)com)

This revival spurned Gypsy music (by this I mean restaurant music
incorporating music from different traditions) and revived Hungarian music
from Transylvania, which preserved older traditions.  One of the members of
Sebo told me that they and the Gypsies didn't get along on the Hungarian State
Folk Ensemble tour in the U.S. in the mid-80s.

BTW, most of the older Hungarian-American Gypsy musicians I have known have a
certain amount of klezmer music in their repertoire.  One guy I knew played
the violin at a Catskill resort for a long time and said everybody thought he
was Jewish.  When young, he played Russian music for tips outside apartment
buildings in the Lower East Side.

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->