Davvening music

I went to Brazil and came back and this discussion is still going, but
dying a bit.  I would like to, just for the sake of it, question one of
the principles in which we are basing this discussion.

I thought we were discussing the spiritual and emotional content of the
music the Shaliach Tsibur uses in his/her davvening.  As it turns out, we
are sending hot messages about each person's own belief system.

Let me say that that I disagree with one of the premises of this
discussion.  It appears to me that the words participation and kavanah
have been largely misused.  And leading prayers was contrasted to them.
Let me share with you my definition of these terms.

Participation in a regular prayer service has little to do with what
people say or do.  It has all to do with what people feel.  Singing along
is not the sole way people can participate.  Listening along is not the
only way either.  But there are built in ways (and very effective ways)
in the prayers for participation.  The congregation is supposed to pray
before the Shaliach Tsibur and respond to his/her rendition of the
prayers.  That is active participation in a Jewish mynian.  And that does
not preclude singing along, but enhances listening along a great deal.

Kavanah is not the feeling that one gets when the entire synagogue is
joining in chant.  It means direction, the intention of the praying
soul.  One does not reach Kavanah by singing along solely, nor by
listening along only.  One applies Kavanah to one's prayer.  And that
should be done in a number of ways.

Leading services is not the automatic opposite of Participation and
Kavanah.  And leading services is not a synonym to davvening.  You do
davvening from your seat.  You lead services from the Amud.  In order to
be able to lead services one has to study and prepare.  Study the ways to
do it;  prepare the tunes which will help the praying individuals in the
congregation to participate in an active and passive way, and to help
them find direction in their prayer, Kavvanah.

Of the several attributes of the Shaliach Tsibur listed in the Shulchan
Aruch I believe I am lacking most.  The particular one I am striving for
right now is the one that says "Zaken ve ragil", to be experienced in the
act of praying and to be versed in the prayers and the prayer modes.  My
goal is to teach a congregation that they should be able to find their
own way of "Participating" in services, but not throw away old concepts
just because they are old.  Find meaning in the Amen's we have to say and
then say them.  Find meaning in the Psalms we have to recite and then
mumble them.  Find meaning in the silence as well as in the words, and
then recite it.

I am not against communal singing.  I believe it is part of the service.
I believe there are other ways to participate in services as well.  I
strongly believe that mine is not the only way.  But I would appreciate
if the connotations of the words 'participation', 'kavanah', and 'leading
services' would give way to their dennotation.

Henrique Ozur Bass                      Jewish Theological Seminary of America
Cantorial Student                       21 Pilgrim Lane
hebass (at) JTSA(dot)EDU                        Westbury, NY 11

 2;4;8;9;15c

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->