Re: I have just beem exposed to klezmer and need more!

In article <3dc3td$raq (at) cronkite(dot)seas(dot)gwu(dot)edu>, orien (at)
gwis2(dot)circ(dot)gwu(dot)edu
(Orie H Niedzviecki) wrote:

> NBOP (nbop (at) aol(dot)com) wrote:
> : Try the Flying Bulghurs. I'm not certain of the label, but they are very
> : lively. There is also a compilation called Brave Old World, and Don Byron
> : did a funny Klezmer album a couple of years ago. I think Don Byron is
> : Jamaican.
>
> Brave Old World is excellent - I just saw one of their members, Michael
> Alpert play at the Smithsonian.  The album is called Beyond the Pale, and
> is by Rounder Records (try 1-800-44-DISCS), though a caveat - it borders
> on Klezmer-influenced Jazz and includes some original Yiddish pieces (not
> old stuff).  As for the Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band, they are from Toronto
> and are a bit more traditional - very good.  It may be hard to find their
> recordings outside Canada, especially since it seems to me it was
> produced independently.  Try writing Flying Bulgar Recordings, 25
> Delaware Ave., Toronto, Ont. Canada, M6H-2S8.
>

>  I manage the Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band. For information I can be
contacted at 416 203 6030, fax 416 203 6031 or on the net. We have two
recordings. #1 is self-titled, FBRCDOO1, and AGADA, FBRCD002, both are
distributed in Canada by Festival Distribution 604 253 2662 and Roblans
Distribution 416 977 6490. Both recordings are licensed to Dorian
Recordings (518 274 5475, fax 4276, lmf (at) dorian(dot)attmail(dot)com)
through their
sub-label Dorian Discovery and distributed world-wide. FBKB is DIS80106
and AGADA is DIS80120. Their U.S. distributor is Allegro. The Flying
Bulgar Klezmer Band tours internationally. Look for us in the U.K.,
Germany and Scandanavia in July and August of '95. Coming up soon: January
29, 95. a concert in Vancouver, B.C. a Sha'ari Tzedek, contact Zac Kaye at
604 224 4748. January 30, 95 the Sidetrack Cafe, Edmonton, Alberta 403 421
1326.

Don Byron is a noted contemporary jazz musician with a long held interest
in klezmer music. He is a former member of the Klezmer Conservatory Band
and has his own klezmer band that is dedicated to the music of Mickey
Katz. The recording referred to is a 1993 Electra Nonesuch release
entitled "Don Byron Plays the Music of Mickey Katz."

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->