Re: Davvening Music

In article <9412170848(dot)AA16171 (at) order(dot)ph(dot)utexas(dot)edu>,
mike (at) order(dot)ph(dot)utexas(dot)edu (Philip) writes:

I find that Debbie's music and many of the new Jewish music writers have
opened a portal to help me to find the essence of the prayers.
------------------------

Mike, I cannot deny the spirituality that you feel when you hear Debbie's
music, but for me, you cannot compare the musical quality with S. Sulzer,
Lawrence Avery, Julius Chajes, Isadore Freed, MAx Janowski, Adolf Katchko,
F. Piket, Schalit, Baresh, Wohlberg, Lazar Weiner etc.  Also, many of
these composers musical creations are based on Nusach.

As I said, I feel that there should be a balance.  To not provide a place
for the Jewish composers of today in a prayer service would be wrong.  But
it can be so easy to forget the musical heritage of our past.

As a senior in the cantorial program at Hebrew Union College, I do sing D.
Friedman music in the temple, but I do not think of it as music to daven
too ...

b'shalom,

joel

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->