Re: New Muzsika's album

> I understand that the Hungarian group "Muzsika's" has put out an album
> of Hungarian Jewish music. Apparently they got together with a couple
> of guys who had played with Jewish musicians a lot before the war....

> Anyone know the album? Like it? Does it have liner notes?

I have it.  It is called "Maramaros - The Lost Jewish Music of
Transylvania".  I do like it.  It is all instrumental music.
About the "couple of guys", the liner notes state:

"In our field trips we indeed found two excellent Gypsy musicians
who regularly played for Jews before the War: Gheorghe Covaci
(known as Cioata), a primas (leading violinist) from Farkasrev
(Vadu Izei) of Maramaros county, and Arpad Toni, a cimbalom player
from Vajdaszentivany (Voivodeni) of Maros (Mures) county.

The liner notes are quite extensive (18 pages long) and include
information about each track as well as information about Jewish
Hungarian music in general.

The catalog number is Rykodisc HNCD 1373.  Enjoy.

Topic No. 19

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->