Re: Info on Jewish music

        I'd like to put in a plug for a couple of Boston area groups, Safam and
        Voice of the Turtle.  Safam is a vocal group which writes their own
        songs in traditional modes but about current concerns.  Voice of the
        Turtle specializes in the Sephardic tradition, using authentic
        instruments.  Not "the most important artists", but very good artists
        worthy of your consideration.

        Dean Bandes   klezmer brass player

while we're at it, i may as well do the same for a seattle based band
called the "mazeltones".  they're a klezmer band, along the lines of
the klezmer conservatory band.  they have a fantastic singer named
wendy marcus, and many songs start off with some verses in yiddish,
then conclude with a few verses of english translation, sometimes
cleverly adapted/updated to contemporary seattle.

i'm still waiting for the moderator (if s/he exists) to cancel my
subscription.  "unsubscribe jewish-music" to listserv (at) nysernet(dot)org
didn't do the job.  anyone else have any suggestions on how to
unsubscribe?  i'd be very grateful.

thanks,
peter (at) seattleu(dot)edu

Topic No. 12