Re: Info on Jewish music

Sean A Martin (semartin (at) magnus(dot)acs(dot)ohio-state(dot)edu) wrote:
: by a singer with "Nurit" in her name. The song went something like "Don't tell
: us about the children who just lost their home...Give us the Tel Aviv life."

I can't comment on the actual singer, (I've never heard her), but the song
generated some interesting press even in the Jerusalem Post. It was critically
acclaimed as a scathing indictment of the emerging jaded yuppie class in some
Tel Aviv suburbs. It may be right or wrong, but it sure kicked up some dust
in its day.

: making Jewish music today?  Anyone have strong opinions on the definition of
: Jewish music?

I think disregarding Israeli music from our Jewish music category simply
because it only 'sung by Jews'. Making the Zionist assumption that things that
concern Israel concern Jews, its only a short hop away to see that substantive
Israeli singers (those whose lyrics are at least slightly meaningful and/or
insightful. Sorry, Mashina, I love you guys but you just don't qualify.)
would have something to offer Jewish listeners anywhere in the world. Singers
like Etnix, Shlomo Artzi and even Ofra Haza and Gidi Gov, can give some good
insight into Israeli society to the Hebrew speakers among us.

In addition, I think this board would die an early death if we restricted it
to the discussion of cantorial releases and Jewish humor parodies, so why tie
ourselves down. Anything is fair game! If you want to throw out the hippest
Cantorial Cantata to hit the block, Rappin' Rabbis, Israeli Heavy Metal, or
Klezmer-mania, go ahead! If you aren't interested in whatever topic is being
discussed, ignore it! In the meantime, Shir Sameach to everyone...

Dave Sloan              dsloan (at) seas(dot)gwu(dot)edu   Northern charm and
Southern
George Washington U.    Washington, D.C.      efficiency."

Topic No. 9

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->