hanashir

Oh no...More Chanukah Parodies

As promised, a couple of things from the archives.  Hope they add levity to
your latkas. (Groan).  Apologies to the original authors.

Oh, and by the way, if you don't know the tunes to the 1950's parodies,
just ask someone between 45 and 55.

Shabbat Shalom,
Jeff Klepper

----

CAT'S DREIDLE - PARODY
(authorship unknown - ed. J. Klepper)

You have a little dreidle with which I'd like to play
The minute you're not looking, I'll spirit it away

        Oh dreidle, dreidle, dreidle, with which I'd like to play
        Oh dreidle, dreidle, dreidle, I'll spirit it away

I have a lovely body, with legs so long and thin
My paw can fling that dreidle, and hit you in the shin

        Oh dreidle, dreidle, dreidle, my legs so long and thin
        Oh dreidle, dreidle, dreidle, I'll scratch you on the chin

I don't care what it stops on, nun gimel hey or shin
I make up my own rules, so whichever one, I win

        Oh dreidle, dreidle, dreidle, nun gimel hey or shin
        Oh dreidle, dreidle, dreidle, whichever one, I win!

-----

1950'S PARODIES (WORDS BY RABBI DAVID NELSON)
Translated from the Ugaritic by Jeff Klepper

1)
Each time we light a candle, it always burns so bright
And that is how we know, it's Chanukah tonight
Each night I ask the candles in a row:
How many nights of Chanukah are still left to go?

It started long ago, with Judah Maccabee
He asked Antiocus to let the Jews be free
Each night I ask the candles in a row:
How many nights of Chanukah are still left to go?

        I cried a tear when the onions were sliced
        But oh those crispy latkas tasted oh so very nice

In the end the Maccabees put up a winning fight
We recall their bravery when we see the burning lights
Each night I ask the candles in a row:
How many nights of Chanukah are still left to go?

2)
You ain't nothin' but a dreidle spinnin' all the time (2)
You ain't never spun a dreidle till you've spun one of mine

You got four Hebrew letters - nun gimel hey shin (2)
So be a good dreidle and always let me win

They said that you was plastic, but that was just a lie (2)
Just give you a twist and watch that dreidle fly!

You ain't nothin' but a dreidle spinnin' all the time (2)
You ain't never spun a dreidle till you've spun one of mine

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->