hanashir

Pedagogy at Services

Chaverim:

I am writing this before Shabbat starts, but I imagine most of you won't
see it until after Shabbat-so I will wish you all, in advance, a Shavua Tov!

We are having some disagreement in our congregation about taking a
pedagogical opportunity to teach new melodies to the congregation. I
sometimes teach a new melody before the service starts.  Aside from the
grinches out there who will complain about anything different, this
practice seems to have generated a few complaints (though none one has
willingly directed them to me personally) and I feel I need to rethink the
practice.

In our small community, where the Kaballat Shabbat service is about the
only time when the adult Jewish  community is together, I find there are no
other opportunities to teach new melodies to the congregation. During the
summer, we do not hold services in the sanctuary, but in the social hall,
and this more casual spirit seems to change things-I teach many new songs
during the summer. But attendance is usually much smaller.

So if I never take the time in winter, fall, or spring to teach new songs
before a service, the opportunities will be far too limited.

I am curious as to why:

a. someone would find this practice disturbing. (No one will give me a
decent answer, and I just cannot put myself in their shoes and understand
their point of view.)

and what

b. other leaders out there do to teach new songs.

Adrian
Adrian A. Durlester durleste (at) plains(dot)nodak(dot)edu
Production Manager, Festival Concert Hall - North Dakota State University,
Fargo
Director of Music & Religious Education, Temple Beth El (UAHC,) Fargo, ND
Work: (701) 231-9564  Cel-Phone: (701) 799-7870
Alternate E-mail:  72507(dot)471 (at) compuserve(dot)com   AdrianD (at)
aol(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->