hanashir

[HANASHIR:15245] Re: High Holy Day choices

I thank all who courageously wrote their ideas in response to mine.  Some of
you responded as if I meant to do a service with just hazzanut. Of course
not! There is always the mixture of congregational pieces, call and response
pieces, chanting and pure solos. (I don't have a choir at this particular
synagogue and sing a capella. The congregation sings all the usual choral
remainder (and reminder) of this style of chanting.  I long ago abandoned
all the other chants of the complete prayers.

And THAT's what bothers me.  Even just one example seems to bore
congregants, even though this is the High Holy Days and the music is
supposed to be a bit special.  I agree with Cantor Contzius about the
congregational refrains being valuable.  This is how B'rosh Hashana works.
And Burton Zipser raised some good points about giving background to
congregants.

I know that there are perhaps some congregants who appreciate the extra
effort to keep this music alive, but the people who hire me year after year
to make their Holy Days special may not be among them.  It almost becomes an
ethical dilemma.

Janet Pape

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->