From: Laura Ferguson [mailto:allenderl (at) acm(dot)org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 9:40 AM
To: hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org
Subject: [HANASHIR:15221] Re: High Holy Day choices

At 07:08 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>< it seems to me that succumbing to pressure to shorten services or dumb
>them down is a mistake.  Wouldn't it be better to bring the congregation to
>a new level?  If we respect ourselves and the service than others will
>respect it too.>
>
>I really object to this implication that singing newer melodies is a form
of
>"dumbing down" our services!

Careful.  This is a complete misinterpretation of what I said.  I would
NEVER consider singing "newer melodies" dumbing down anything.  On the
contrary the trend towards removing prayers, never doing anything new, and
reducing to zero the amount of Hebrew used and never ever introducing
"new"  or "new-old" traditions -- now that is dumbing down a service.

Laura

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->