hanashir

[HANASHIR:15194] High Holy Day choices

I want to discuss something with all of you that is beginning to bother me.
That is, that as the years pass (I've been a cantorial soloist for 26
years), I have been noticing that (Reform) congregations I've sung for seem
to be less and less able to tolerate/appreciate/enjoy long recitative-type
chants.  I am really torn, because 1) they are part of our heritage, 2) they
are beautiful expressions of the prayers, and 3) they are personally
challenging and satisfying.  I feel a pressure to switch to "easier
listening" renditions, but every time I drop a traditional piece from the
repetoire, I know it will have vanished from the aural memories of the
congregation forever.

Any comments?

Janet Pape
Cantorial Soloist

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->