hanashir

[HANASHIR:15243] Re: High Holy Day choices

<So, though someone posted that perhaps it is the community is different for
the HHD (with the 2x/year worshippers), I would pose that perhaps the music
chosen keeps those who are attending for the first time in a while from
feeling connected and wanting to come back.>

I agree!  Our congregation likes to keep HHD services classically reform and
very grand.  It seems to me that this approach only reinforces many 2x/year
worshippers' views that the services are a performance and discourages them
from wanting to come back to try more innovative Shabbat services, which
they assume will be like the HHD services.  It seems to me the perfect time
to showcase a different style of service.

<Many contemporary pieces not only offer more "singable" melodies but they
also offer more English, and English in a form that for some people, allows
them for the first time to understand and connect to the prayers - seeing
them as relevant, not just words to say.>

Amen!

Lisa Baydush

As someone who sits in the pews for services, it has been interesting to
follow this conversation. Our Reform synagogue, which has moved more and
more to participatory music throughout the year, tends to be very
"classical" on the HHD - complete with professional choir. For me, and
others, it can be less than satisfying. There are moments where I do
appreciate the time to just sit back and reflect, but for the most part I
find myself very disconnected from the service because even if the liturgy
being sung is something I know, it is seen as a time that I am expected to
listen to, not worship.

So, though someone posted that perhaps it is the community is different for
the HHD (with the 2x/year worshippers), I would pose that perhaps the music
chosen keeps those who are attending for the first time in a while from
feeling connected and wanting to come back.

Many contemporary pieces not only offer more "singable" melodies but they
also offer more English, and English in a form that for some people, allows
them for the first time to understand and connect to the prayers - seeing
them as relevant, not just words to say.

Just another perspective,

Iris Petroff
Program Director
Temple Society of Concord