From: owner-hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-hanashir (at)
shamash(dot)org] On
Behalf Of Adrian Durlester
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 8:48 AM
To: hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org
Subject: [HANASHIR:15136] RE: just so we're on the same page...

Definitely not yet exhausted, Erik. Perhaps because I'll use my bully
pulpit
to keep it going?

Having served both large and small UAHC congregations, Erik, I still
feel
that the challenges posed by Sholom and others is a valid one. Not every
UAHC congregation needs all of the services that a fully ordained HUC
cantor
can provide.

I do have to agree with Sholom's basic premise. Whether in response to
need
(which I will admit may have been part of the reasoning) or simply for
the
sake of securing employment security, the role of the Reform cantorate
has
been expanded. Not every coingregation needs someone to fill such a
broad
role. Sometimes, a plain old hazzan, in the traditional sense, is all
that
is needed to fit the bill.

And Burton again endorses the position I have so often taken on this
matter.
Alternative methods to prepare and study for the cantorate are sorely
needed. We need 21st century thinking. Not 19th or 20th.

CAJE has always proven to be a place where artifical boundaries are
crossed.
40 people, some ordained cantors, some soloists, participated in the
Cantor's Choir under the direction of Donny Maseng.  Seeing the
collegial
atmosphere among all these professionals warmed my heart. There was no
"you
don't belong here" in either spoken or unspoken words. Just the desire
sing in service to Gd.

May this be a protent of the future.

B'vracha,

Adrian

Adrian A. Durlester, MTS
E-mail: adrian (at) durlester(dot)com  www.durlester.com
Director of Education & Congregational Life, Bethesda Jewish
Congregation,
Bethesda, MD
www.bethesdajewish.com
Co-Director, Hazamir/JTAI Choir of Greater DC
Past Conf Chair, CAJE 27, August 4-8, 2002, Trinity University, San
Antonio,
TX
List Owner, hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org; Jewish Songleaders/Performers List
www.ehavanashira.org
Co-Owner, l-torah (at) shamash(dot)org; Liberal Torah Discussion List