hanashir

[HANASHIR:15139] Re: Mini Discs for dummies "How To Copy to the Computer & Burn CDs"

(I apologise if this question has already been addressed.  I just got
home from CAJE & there were more than 50 Hanashir posts awaiting, so I
might have missed the answer ... )

TO COPY FROM MINIDISC TO COMPUTER & BURN CDS:

1.  Use the appropriate connector to plug the minidisc "sound out" into
the "microphone in" jack on your computer.  (In theory you could play
the minidisc through speakers, and record onto your computer with a
microphone.  Don't do this!  You will _significantly_ lose sound
quality.  If you don't have the right wire, go & buy it.)

2.  Then use whatever software package you like to record the sound from
the minidisc onto the computer.  There are many many recording software
packages out there, depending how fancy you want to get & how much $ you
want to pay.  I use Audacity, which I downloaded free from the web, only
because my son recommended it.  (It's probably at Audacity.com, or do a
websearch for it.)  I've seen other people using Cool Pro & Cool Pro
Edit, but I don't know anything more about them.

***If others have recommendations for other software, free or purchased,
I would be most interested in hearing them***.

3.  Note that many software programs restrict the way you can save
files, because of copyright issues.  For example, if you want to record
mp3s, you may have to download a special extra program as an add-on to
the main program.  (Also available for free.)  If you need more info,
let me know & I will have my son write up how to do this!

4.  Open the computer program.  ***Make sure you have fresh batteries in
your minidisc player, or plug it in*** ... it's really frustrating if it
dies, halfway through a long recording.  Press "record" on the software,
then "play" on your minidisc.  (If you do this in the reverse order, you
may miss the first few seconds of your recording.)  You can do this
track by track, or the whole minidisc at once.  Do a few trial runs, to
check out the correct volume settings, noise reduction, etc.  You can
usually alter the settings on _both_ the minidisc & the software, so you
might want to play around a bit in order to figure out what sounds best.

5.  You can save the file in various formats, some of which will easily
allow further editing, others of which will not.  It's usually not hard
to edit out segments (e.g. audience clapping, etc.) but it may be harder
to edit out background noise (e.g. coughs, audience rustling, etc.)
This depends on the software.

In general, the larger the file, the more information is retained, and
the more easily you can edit it later.  I don't have time to do much
editing, so I just save as mp3s, which are reasonably good quality and
comparatively small size.

6.  If you intend to keep your recordings on your computer, think of a
logical way to name & file them, so you can find them easily.  I have a
folder called Music, then a subfolder called Hava Nashira 2003.  I name
the files using the "metric date" format:  yyyy mm dd hhmm, so they show
up in order by day, within in the folder: e.g. "2003 05 31 1030
Children's Songs"

7.  Once the files are on your computer, it is comparatively simple to
burn them to a CD as files, in the usual fashion according to your
particular computer setup.

8.  As Jeff puts it, you have to do the transfer in "real time", meaning
that a two hour session will take two hours to copy.  You can just set
the machines to copy & then leave ... but this is risky, since assorted
glitches can occur.  I usually listen in as the copy is being done -
either through the computer speakers, or through a headset plugged in to
the computer.  If the recordings are of importance to you, & you plan to
erase the minidisc, I would strongly recommend listening through the
copy either on your computer or on the CD that you have burned, to make
sure it came out correctly, before you erase the original.

9.  Anyway, the aggravation of this whole thing is why I decided to
bring my laptop & record directly onto it!  I bought a good-quality
external mike, which I plug into the computer, & use Audacity to record
directly to the hard drive.  It's harder to shlep around than a minidisc
recorder, and takes more room to set up, but it's way easier once I get
home.

Hope this outline helps ...

- Ros