hanashir

[HANASHIR:15126] just so we're on the same page...

i just want to make sure i'm communicating correctly,
because i feel that recently, i was misunderstood.

1) i could have used any other profession as an
analogy (doctor/lawyer/architect/etc.). i only chose
medicine since my wife is in that profession and we
were talking in terms of that together. the point is
that the position has changed, and with that, so has
its training. since the position requires more, the
training needs to be more rigorous.

2) the AMERICAN REFORM CANTORATE, despite anyone's
surface observations, has changed dramatically over
the last 50 years. There is a long history, and it can
be seen through the history and growth of the HUC-JIR,
SSM and through the progress and acceptance of the ACC
within the circles of the UAHC and the CCAR. in order
to relay the drastic changes and history, i would have
to deliver a short dissertation here online, which i'm
unwilling to do (i don't want to subject y'all to that
kind of torture!). suffice it to say that, within the
UAHC, the position of cantor has changed dramatically.

3) i thought i had made it clear from the onset of my
comments that i was talking most specifically to the
AMERICAN REFORM CANTORATE, and nothing really of the
other branches of judaism and their respective
movements. others from other denominations on this
list may wish to comment from their respective
perspectives.

i hope that's made things a bit more clear. and now, i
defer to my friend adrian to determine whether this
thread has exhausted itself or not. :)

all the best,
erik

=====
Cantor Erik L. F. Contzius
New Rochelle, New York

COME TO THE ROZHINKE RETREAT: http://rozhinke.org/
http://community.webshots.com/user/eriklfc
http://soundswrite.com/swstore1.html#howexcellent
http://tinr.org/

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->