hanashir

[HANASHIR:14212] RE: "Bat" in Hatikvah

Chevre,

I second that motion. As HaTikvah is now considered Israel's National
Anthem, the dispute over "bat" or no "bat" should no longer be an issue.
Unless American Jews prefer to stay distant, and separate -  as always. Oh
yeah - I know - it's a low blow. But having returned to the States after
living 22 years in Israel, I know that I, for one, am having a hard time
with American Jewish attitudes towards Israel. It's a them and us kind of
attitude. I think it's high time we join forces and sing HaTikvah as it is
sung in Israel. There should be no discussion about this as far as I am
concerned.

BTW - there are loads of songs for Yom Ha'atsma'ut, Yom Yerushalayim, Lag
B'Omer, Shavuot and all the rest. Israeli's sing their hearts out. I never
heard so much music in my life until I went to Israel. Learn Hebrew. Sing
in Hebrew. Let's teach our children to sing in Hebrew. Teach our children
that WE are Israel.

Sorry for the outburst, but I HURT inside sometimes.

Rahel

At 11:50 PM 5/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Iris:
>
>I couldn't find the older messages in the archives, but I know they are
>there somewhere. There's a disputed history, and a series of revised
>lyrics that occurred pre and post 1948,  which both Cantor Klepper, Judah
>Cohen and others have helped shed some light on before, and can, perhaps,
>do so again, but for me, in the end, it boils down to this: the official
>Israeli government version of Hatikvah contains the "bat", ergo, that is
>the way it should be sung.
>
>Adrian

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->