From: owner-hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-hanashir (at)
shamash(dot)org] On
Behalf Of rahel
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 12:33 AM
To: hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org
Subject: [HANASHIR:14212] RE: "Bat" in Hatikvah

Chevre,

I second that motion. As HaTikvah is now considered Israel's National
Anthem, the dispute over "bat" or no "bat" should no longer be an issue.
Unless American Jews prefer to stay distant, and separate -  as always.
Oh yeah - I know - it's a low blow. But having returned to the States
after living 22 years in Israel, I know that I, for one, am having a
hard time with American Jewish attitudes towards Israel. It's a them and
us kind of attitude. I think it's high time we join forces and sing
HaTikvah as it is sung in Israel. There should be no discussion about
this as far as I am concerned.

BTW - there are loads of songs for Yom Ha'atsma'ut, Yom Yerushalayim,
Lag B'Omer, Shavuot and all the rest. Israeli's sing their hearts out. I
never heard so much music in my life until I went to Israel. Learn
Hebrew. Sing in Hebrew. Let's teach our children to sing in Hebrew.
Teach our children that WE are Israel.

Sorry for the outburst, but I HURT inside sometimes.

Rahel