hanashir

[HANASHIR:14093] Re: Pre-Pesach Thoughts

Dear Joel et al,

This issue is a good one, I think.

Responsibility to the liturgy:

In terms of liturgy, I'm somewhat Conservadox.  But, even so, the example
cited of "Elokai N'shama" is one of those prayers which is not required in
public prayer; it is meant to be recited at home shortly after rising
(actually, after "rofey chol basar...", the bathroom bracha).

Similarly, Ma Tovu is "meant" to be recited as one enters the beit tfila -
not after you've donned tallit and entered the sanctuary.

Other pieces of liturgy (e.g., Ashrei) are *required* in their
entirety.  So, if one wants to chant Elokai N'shama, I don't see the
problem.  In effect, we have ADDED it to the regular service in whatever
form it takes.  Where I disagree with some postmodern practice is that so
much time and attention is given to these preliminary prayers that the
"regular" service receives short shrift.

Accents:
I agree that where possible AND musical, Hebrew should be accented
properly.  An example is "Hakadosh Baruch Hu" in the Alenu (or Shalom
Alechem).  It's sung everywhere "haKAdosh Baruch Hu".  When I sing, whether
following or leading, I sing "HakaDOSH Baruch Hu", even knowing that the
congregation will not sing it that way.  But I feel okay doing it because
a) it's still musical, and b) I won't throw anybody off singing it this way.

Any new writing should, IMO, reflect proper accenting.  But for existing
pieces, trying to make it fit can take some musicality away.  Trying to
make Carlebach proper can resemble emasculation.  Our congregation sings a
Kel Adon which absolutely mangles the Hebrew, but it's one of the coolest
pieces we do.  I wouldn't want to change it.

Thanks for the topic.

May we all have a chag kasher v'sameach,
Andy