hanashir

[HANASHIR:12352] Lyrics to 8 Days of Chanukah

Eight Days of Chanukah
Russian folk song
English Lyrics - S. Gewirtz

Once there was a time we had a Temple
Where every Jew would go three times a year
There we worshipped G-d in our tradition
Till suddenly a tyrant did appear
Then at Modin Mattathias told us
"Whoever is for G-d come join our band."
Led by Judah and his faithful brothers
We drove the tyrant from our holy land.

CHORUS:
EIGHT DAYS OF CHANUKAH, EIGHT DAYS OF CHANUKAH
WE CELEBRATE THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHT
THOSE DAYS IN HISTORY STILL LIVE FOR YOU AND ME
LET'S KEEP THE FLAME FOREVER SHINING BRIGHT.

When they came to dedicate the Temple
How their hearts were heavy with despair
Impurities and idols all around them
And just one jar of pure oil was there
But with faith in G-d they cleansed the Temple
Kindled that small lamp with hope and love
Then the story had a happy ending
Eight days of blessed light came from above.