hanashir

[HANASHIR:11151] Re: HANASHIR digest 1501

Thank you Ellen!! You nailed the issue.  I started to compose a very similar
message, and gave up... I thought I was coming across as too harsh.    I
agree with every word you said and would like to join in the effort of
"raising the bar".  I've seen too many situations where an entire
congregation was chatting while the Rabbi was speaking - so it's certainly
not only an "unruly kid" issue.

Last week I happened to be talking with one of the custodians in the
Synagogue where I teach, who is Catholic, and sends his children to Catholic
school.  His main issue was the overall "bad behavior" of our children in
Religious school... (and I thought they were "good" compared with the kids
in my previous school...)   He was truly mystified. "Children in Catholic
school have respect for the teachers and for the institution"  - he said. I
found myself apologizing for "our people"...  I've never been to a Christian
service, but somehow I "imagine" that people sit very quietly in church...
kids and all...

It really comes down to good old fashioned manners!

Shirona
Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
 Visit my website at    www.shirona.com
Listen to my music at www.mp3.com/shirona