hanashir

[HANASHIR:5394] ignorance is bliss

Hello all!!

I've been keeping my two cents to myself for quite a few months now, but
I've read with interest all the posts (well, most of them).  I feel out of
my league when talk turns to copywrite, making of CDs, concert dates, etc.
 Those of you who remember me from HN or from my earlier postings know I
don't consider myself much of an authority on many things, including Jewish
music!!  But after all this time, I did want to share a few thoughts about
how things have worked for me.

When I started as music director of my very tolerant congregation, I didn't
know that congregations don't usually sing along, or that they might not
want to.  So I immediately started putting the words/transliterations for
the songs we were singing onto the worship sheets.  (OK, I'll start to
credit the composers!)  And a funny thing happened.  Lots of people started
singing with me and with the choir!  Many came up to me to thank me for
allowing them to participate more fully.  Now those who wish to sing along
are able to, those wanting to listen can also do so.

I never thought about whether I could both direct the choir and lead the
congregation.  I just sort of did it.  I angled my music stand in such a
way that I faced the congregation, but had my choir in sight, too.  The
choir can see me and pick up on my guitar movements, strumming, breathing,
foot tapping, etc., but I can still look out at the congregation and make
eye contact.  I can still lead the singing for them, too.

When taking over the volunteer choir, I thought about having auditions, but
with a small membership, I didn't want to limit myself.  So I have
frequently encouraged anyone and everyone to come into the choir.  Yes, we
have some clinkers, but we have some ringers, too, and overall, the mix is
good.  The choir is the largest I remember in years, and everyone has fun.

So why am I dragging up these old topics?  Maybe we tend to analize things
too much rather than just doing them.  Because of my ignorance, I just did
things, and they seemed to work well.  In fact, I've been told by many
people that the music in our temple is now the best they have heard in
years.  Among those saying that is our Rabbi of 12 years who worked with
two professional musicians here before me, and is himself an accomplished
musician, and the father of the music director just preceding me.  In fact,
some of our new members have mentioned the music and the congregational
involvement in singing as part of the reason they joined!!

I certainly don't mean to place myself above the status of glorified
volunteer I've always claimed.  My choir is very commited and fast
learners, and we've done some really great musical pieces.  But as music
leaders in our congregations we can't loose sight of just doing what we
feel might work, and having fun.

OK, so that was more than two cents worth.  Sorry.

My best to you all!
Kristin Stern