non-Canadians who attend Klez Kanada

Moadim l'simcha

When I discuss the Yiddish Music "Kamps" with folks who
haven't been, one contrast I usually make about Klez
Kanada is how inexpensive it is.

There are several reasons, of course - the lesser
accommodations (a summer camp, not a hotel), and the
Canadian dollar vs the US dollar, teenaged kitchen staff.

But there is yet another reason.  After coming home last
year I first became aware that my learning at Klez Kanada
was partially financed by the Canadian taxpayer.  The
Canadian government has this idea that part of their
responsibility is the support of cultural institutions and
events.  Closet commies?  Hippie pinkos?  I dunno.

Not to be self aggrandizing - but on learning this I wrote
out a follow up check for $100, and plan to send another
$100 before the next registration is due.

It's pretty tacky to publicly announce one's donations,
but I'm doing it for a reason here.  There is no reason on
earth that we who come from any other country than Canada
should be subsidized by the Canadian taxpayer.

I feel non Canadian attendees who can afford it should
feel some obligation to donate funds above our tuition
room and board to Klez Kanada.

I realize there are some of us who come to Klez Kanada
specifically because of its affordablity - that you can
take a share in a tent or trailer and carpool up and do
the whole trip for a couple hundred bucks.  That's fine,
and if that's you, put your wallet away.

But for those of us who have had a few lucky breaks in
life and have made it into the middle class (or were born
into it and never left), and can afford to write a check
of $50 or $200 or $500 - I think we have an obligation, if
we are attending Klez Kanada to pay our own way, and let
the Canadian subsidy benefit people with fewer means and,
of course, Canadians!

It's probably clear that this letter is my own opinion and
is not endorsed - in fact has never been seen by Hy and
Sandy.  I did mention it to one of the music directors who
felt I maybe had a good point.  So I figured I'd share
this concept.  I feel like a bit of an ass doing so - ah
but so what.

Moadim l'simcha

Roger Reid