Re: Rap and honest observations.

>Generally, sampling means ' I've got no talent to write a song, so I
>steal
>the hook from a hit record so people will think I'm cool"
This is something that's always annoyed me in the case of most rap
music I've heard.  Why can't there be some original music in the
background?  Sampling was fun in the good old days of early 90's
techno, but even electronic dance music has evolved to a place where
it's moved away from dependence on sampling to make some fantastic and
beautiful original sounds, but in the case of rap, where the message of
the words is so important anyway, I don't understand why the musical
backdrop has to rely on the strength of someone else's  pre-existing
musical effort so much of the time.  I'm not saying *all* rap does
*nothing but* rip off samples, I haven't the authority to make such a
statement,  but most of it that I've ever heard has.  I'm making an
honest observation from my own limited perspective, please understand
it as such.

just to clarify, there's a mistaken assumption here on the part of people who
haven't heard much hip-hop music that sampling involves taking entire backing
tracks of previously released songs and rapping over them. That was certainly
the case with the first rap song to become popular, "Rapper's Delight," way
back in '79 or '80. And it still is the case with a few rap songs that have
become big hits (such as that awful P. Diddy song that lifted the Police's
"Every
Breath You Take" completely). In fact, part of the reason these songs became
hits is because they were instantly recognizable -- we already knew the song!
But I'd venture to say that more than 95 percent of what would be defined as
hip-hop today either uses no sampling at all or else samples tiny bits of
music, digitally alters them to make them unrecognizable, and collages those
bits
together to create something entirely new. Collage techniques, of course, are
not new in art, and they're one of the defining elements of postmodernism,
which was the dominant aesethic movement for decades. So this isn't something
that I would think would be impossible to appreciate, even for people who just
don't like hip-hop music no matter what. It fits very much into larger art
trends in recent decades.
Sorry, we really should get back to Jewish music, right?
-Roni

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->