Re: Jewish rap?

Bravo, Ari.  If one were in my Jewish studies course this semester, one
would see that wordplay is an element of Jewish poetry and song that
crops up in a variety of contexts and that it is also certainly part of rap.

I just received a paper I've yet to read about rap -- Jewish and Arab --
in Israel.  It's used to make statements about the second intifada so,
art or not, it's certainly at least potentially an important expressive
tool.  Frankly, the notion of capital A Art has been problematic for me
for a long time.  Go into the African or Native American or South
Pacific or Australian Aboriginal wing of your local art museum and one
sees all kinds of equisitely made ritual and practical objects whose
intentions were certainly never to be gaped at on walls or pedestals.
As the Balinese say (the quote at the end of C. Small's Music - Society
- Education) "We have no art.  We only do things as well as possible."

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music and Jewish Studies