Re: Ginzburg/Marek and Engel

Thanks.  I look forward to hearing from other sage members of our list.
Lorele

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:15:12 -0500 itzik gottesman
<gottesman (at) yiddish(dot)forward(dot)com> writes:
> Apparently Meir Noy had prepared a book of melodies for the songs of
>
> Ginzburg/Marek but I don't know what happened to the project after
> his death. Write to his brother Prof. Dov Noy.
>
> On the songs you ask for, I can add quickly:
>
> for songs 34, 35, 36 - these are the traditional openings for a
> Purim
> Shpil. Check the new volume of Purim Shpiln by Beregovsky. Kiev
> 1931.
>
> #37 - see Kotilyansky song #9  That's the only one I know with
> music;
> other collections have variants with words - for example Olsvanger's
>
> first collection, 1920, Basel.
>
> #39 , #40 - Michael Alpert sings a variant of this on the first
> Kapelye LP. I think Adrienne Cooper recorded it too on her cassette.
>
> A version also in Olsvanger, 1920.
>
> i am sure i am leaving other references out that others should add.
>
> - itzik gottesman

You can hear clips from Lori's CDs at:
http://www.cdbaby.com/lcahan
http://www.cdbaby.com/lcahan2
http://www.cdbaby.com/nosband
Email me for purchase or buy at CD Baby or Hatikvah Music at:
http://www.hatikvahmusic.com

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!